Some of the most asked questions we receive concern the proper time to apply fertilizer, lime, seed, etc. to the yard. With that in mind, I developed the following calendar. It can be printed and saved for future use or come by the store and pick one up.
March 1-April 15
- Pre-emergence Crabgrass Control
- Fertilize with light application of 16-4-8 with slow release nitrogen
March 1-May 30 & September 1-October 31
Plant fescue cool season grass
March 1-May 30 & September 1-December 31
- Fertilize Cool Season Grass- 3 applications:
- 16-4-8 with slow release nitrogen
- 28-4-8 with regular nitrogen
- 46-0-0 Urea
March 15-October 15
- Broadleaf Weed Control
April 1-September 30
- Watch for disease and treat
April 1-May 30 & August 15-October 15
- Grub Control
May 1-September 30
- Post-emergence Crabgrass Control
Lime – May be done anytime. Including when seeding or fertilizing.
Lawn Aeration – Not recommended when ground is hard or frozen.
In conjunction with seeding, use seeding schedule above.